All things going well, a box of my new book Diversion (a poetic investigation of distraction and the narrowing divide between profundity and mundanity) should arrive at my door tomorrow. In celebration, here is a previously unpublished poem from the book. It’s the third in the sequence. I hope you buy it! (Amazon link for those who dig that sort of place.)
Not been very good about maintaining this site. I’ve been working on another site quite a bit, and really haven’t had a lot to report, besides a few publications. Mostly I’ve spent my days editing and reediting my upcoming book Diversion (cheaper Amazon link here, but I would encourage you to buy indy at McNally or your local) — but my editors have finally taken it away from me and now I have nothing to tinker with. So here are some upcoming events for this summer and autumn, where you can catch me as pass through cities other than St. John’s:
- UBC Creative Writing I’ll be teaching in the MFA at UBC this summer and am there for two weeks in July.
- Writers At Woody Point I’m reading at Woody Point with Joan Clark, Elisabeth de Mariaffi, Steven Galloway, Elizabeth Hay, Lawrence Hill, Miriam Toews, Kathleen Winter, and some lady named “Margaret Atwood”.
- St. John’s Launch No official date yet confirmed, but Diversion will launch in St. John’s in September.
- Winnipeg’s Thin Air I’ll be reading at a bunch of school as a kids authors as well as at the poetry bash as a poet. Presumably an adult one. Actually, once you get the new book you’ll see: it gets a little blue.
- Poetry London I’ll be reading in London, ON as part of the Poetry London series on Oct 14.
- Toronto Events So far I’ll be reading at an as-yet-unscheduled ECW launch in October as well as at the great and storied reading series Pivot on Oct 21.
A few of the poems from my upcoming book Diversion make a rare appearance at Lemon Hound. Sadly, Lemon Hound will be closing shortly, so I’m glad to have squeaked back in there. It was a hub for genuine and passionate discussion and publication of poetry and literature. One of the great sites of the country, for people who love words. It’ll be missed.
I’ll be reading and teaching at the Frye Festival in Moncton at the end of April/beginning of May. If you’re around, please come say hi. Reading from both the kids book and the poetry.
I’ll be in Ontario at the start of March for two readings: LitLive in Hamilton and Rower’s Pub. I’m on the bill both times with my wife Elisabeth de Mariaffi, as well as a host of other great authors. Please come see!
(with Elisabeth de Mariaffi, Diane Schoemperlen, Geoffrey Line, Taylor Wilson)
Sunday, March 1, 730 pm
Homegrown Hamilton (27 King William St., Hamilton)
(with Elisabeth de Mariaffi, Waubgeshig Rice, and Kathleen Winter)
Monday, March 2, 630pm
The Central (603 Markham St., Toronto)
I haven’t been keeping very good care of this site! Too many other projects on the go and not enough exciting news. A few readings and publications here and there, but I’ve mostly been concentrating on my wife Elisabeth de Mariaffi‘s new novel, The Devil You Know. Check that out. I’m always at her to update her site, so here I am taking my own advice.
Today, I received the cover art for my new book coming in the Fall, so I thought I would post! David Gee has done it again. This is the third cover he’s done for me and my third book with ECW. I love it. What amazes me is that for all three, Glimpse, Whiteout, and Diversion, he got it exactly right the first time.
If you want to read one of the poems from it, check out this page at Hazlitt.